Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Rhythm of the Day

This weekend, I found a collection of assorted writings that I've kept throughout the years.  Written by me or by others, they all have some personal significance.

The first, As I Watch You Sleep, was written by Diana Loomans.  I first read it when I was nursing Ruby and have reread it many times since.  In the author's words, I see myself...the impatient, curt Mother I swore I'd never be, but all too often catch myself being.  Also, I am reminded that my words and actions are powerful, especially in Ruby's world.

Many nights, I feel compelled to go back into Ruby's room after she has fallen asleep.  I marvel at her peacefulness.  I listen to her breath.  I apologize for my irritability.  I too, question where I "lost the rhythm of the day."  I thank her for teaching me and promise to do better tomorrow.  And lastly, I tell her I love her just one more time.

I hope all those who read the passage are touched by it as I have been.  It can be found in the book 100 Ways to Build Self-Esteem and Teach Values, which Ms. Loomans wrote with her daughter Julia.

No comments:

Post a Comment