Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Closing Doors

We’ve all heard the saying…”one door closes, another one opens.” It is usually said by some well meaning friend trying to soften the blow of one of life’s disappointments. What I’ve found, is that sometimes you have to close one door in order for another door to open. Something about too many doors being open at one time creates a draft, but I don’t think that is the point I’m trying to make. My point is that sometimes we are holding ourselves back and we need to let go of the old to let in the new.

For months after being laid off, I fervently pursued a position in my old profession. My desire was obviously to return to what I knew, but also to return to the salary I knew. I went on multiple interviews that seemed to go well, but after receiving no offers, I had to take a hard look at myself and my future. I had to realize that the Fates were guiding me in a new direction and I needed to listen. When I finally decided to stop moving in the old direction and start moving towards what I truly wanted and have wanted for years, a career in wellness, things started happening for me.

My biggest hurdle was my own fear of rejection and not feeling credible enough. But in the past few months, I went from saying “maybe” or “if” to “I am” and “when”. I finally started owning my future and started talking about my passions with confidence and belief in myself. Funny thing happened -- other people started to believe in me too. Now I can feel my positive energy radiating outward and that of others coming back at me from all angles. I had three interviews last week with incredible, like-minded fitness professionals and left feeling alive. What a sharp contrast to the feelings I got and gave off at the many Corporate America interviews.

I like to think it was Fate preventing me from getting those other jobs, but maybe subconsciously I sabotaged myself with an undercurrent of disinterest and disdain that the interviewers sensed. I went to one interview and was literally crying on the way there, contemplating the commute and the daily grind. Red flag? Hell yes! And to my credit, I did listen to those feelings and am now reaping the rewards of doing so. I closed the door to my past career and the door to my future opened.

No comments:

Post a Comment