Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Quick Exercise in Gratitude

I had lunch with a great friend yesterday and our conversation turned to thankfulness. It reminded me of a quick exercise I try to do every now and then, especially when I feel myself being overly negative.

Just make a list of A to Z and fill in what you are thankful for. The key is to move quickly and not over think it. Here is my list for today:

A – Apples (Apple season is coming! I love the Fall)
B – Bob
C – Calling (Feeling like I am finding my calling and going after it is invigorating)
D – Drinking Wine (having red wine at Blue Ridge on Saturday was wonderfully peaceful and soothing)
E – Eggbeaters (simple, easy, healthy)
F – Football season (means Bob will be home in a few months)
G – Gmail (my main communication connection to my sweetie)
H – Hazel (my new kitty is a blessing - loving, affectionate and adorable)
I – Institute for Integrative Nutrition (my new school started last week and I already can tell that I'm in the right place)
J – Jif crunch peanut butter (only thing better is almond butter, which I cannot keep in the house)
K – The King (Bob, again)
L – Love (Bob, again)
M – My Man (Bob, again…seeing a pattern? Perhaps…and yes, absence at least makes the heart grow crazier)
N – Nuts (crunchy good fat, keeps me from feeling deprived)
O – Oxygen magazine (a great magazine for healthy, strong women)
P – Panera (free wireless)
Q – Quiet (5am rocks sometimes)
R – Rubes
S – Summer (love the heat and being warm, not having to bundle up and freeze or shovel. This one is particularly important because all summer I’ve just waiting for it to be over, to signal the ½ way point in Bob’s deployment. This type of thinking goes completely against my own attempts and yoga’s teachings to just live in the moment. So, I need to be thankful for and remember all the goodness in Summer while it is here because before I know it, I’ll be cold again)
T – Telephone (allows for long talks with my Mom, and also another connection to Bob. Boy how we take this now simple technology for granted.)
U – Underway (this period with Bob underway is so important to his career, health and well being. It is also providing for our family)
V – Vagina (okay, sorry if any guys actually read my blog, but this is not a naughty word...plus, V words are a little challenging to come up with. And I am thankful for the healthy relationship I have with mine)
W – Wine (love a glass, or two or three, of good red or white)
X – Ex (glad we put Ruby first and that there hasn’t been much drama lately)
Y – yoga (thrilled that I’ve come back to yoga)
Z – Zeal (what a blessing to feel enthusiasm for my new career path. I feel alive and invigorated)

Studies show that those who practice gratitude tend to be happier. I know after my A-Z exercise, I feel better and more positive already.

No comments:

Post a Comment