Friday, March 12, 2010

A Sad Reminder

Last night, I was online catching up on emails and feeling sorry for myself. It had been a tough week -- lots of rejection and disappointment on the job front. While on Facebook, I noticed that a few of my old high school friends had become fans of the Liam J. Perk Foundation. Curious, I checked out the page and started seeing words like "memorial" and "our sweet angel." A pit formed in my stomach as I realized that something terrible had happened to this sweet little boy. I went on to read Liam's story, as recounted by his father, Joseph Perk --- on December 22, 2009 Liam had been bitten in the neck by their family dog and died.

I think my connection to Joe was our hometown, but honestly, my 30+ memory is failing me. Yet after reading his story, the connection was one of parenthood. Parents have this incredible responsibility and most of us have moments we wish we could take back. That time where we turned our back for just a minute or weren't quick enough. Ruby had one that I'll never forget. I had taken her to Baltimore Aquarium. She was about two years old and very independent, so she wanted to walk a few steps in front of me. I looked away for a second and before I knew it she was walking right into the path of an oncoming taxi. I screamed like I had never screamed before and thankfully she stopped, right as the taxi whizzed by.

I am not a crier, but when I hear stories of parents losing their children, the tears just flow. Tears for Liam's family - their loss, the second-guessing, the guilt, the unbearable sadness. How do you pick up the pieces? Tears for my daughter -- who I sometimes take for granted, who I always want to protect, who I cannot imagine the pain of losing. And this time, there were tears of guilt for feeling sorry for myself just because I lost my job. Have I not learned by now that life is short and that my current situation is just a blip on the radar? Have I not learned that there are others who have it so much worse? I felt ashamed and sad. I went into Ruby's room and was glad she was still awake. I hugged her long and hard, to which she said "Mom, you're choking me." After another few seconds, I let her go and said good night.

Part of Liam's family's mission is to educate the public on providing a "safe environment for children and dogs as a family." His story is a not-so-gentle reminder that dogs are still animals. I grew up with dogs and the thought that they might hurt or kill me never crossed my mind. However, when Ruby was born, my protective mama bear instincts kept her at arms length from our two chocolate labs. My Mom's words, "you can't trust a dog, any dog" rang in my ears. Even now, we have two dogs in our home, one I don't trust completely around Ruby. After reading about Liam, I will be even more watchful and cautious.

I am still saddened and speechless when I look at the pictures on Liam's page. I never met him, but his story moved me and reminded me to focus on the positive and count my blessings...for I have many.

2 comments:

  1. Seriously! I have tears in my eyes... First the boy that died and then the Ruby story. I have decided what you need to do with your life (yes I have never met you, but through your blog and FB, I feel I know you!) I think you need to be a motivation speaker. Your words inspire me! Start selling ads on your blog. Then start selling your "word". Seriously, you write really well, very engaging. You will find something fast. You will find the right thing. Good luck Girlie!

    ReplyDelete