Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Stepping Out

I was not born with the dancing gene. Actually, let me re-phrase that...I was not born with the choreographed dancing gene. Take me to a club and I can boogie, but try to teach me actual steps and I will inevitably over think it, count out loud and stumble.

I've always wanted to be able to dance. I took classes in my youth, but realized quickly that I was not gifted like some of my friends. My inability as an adult likely stems from those early days and not wanting to look stupid. Even the macarena is a challenge and forget the electric slide. I watch shows like So You Think You Can Dance and Dancing with the Stars with such envy. Not only is the talent incredible, but when you factor in the short time frame they have to learn the choreography, I am just in awe. Seriously, I think that part of my brain is just missing.

Another limiting factor that I've realized through recent self-assessment, is my risk adverse nature. I tend to avoid situations that put me in physical or emotional jeopardy. I am determined to reverse that trend. Bob and I have often talked about wanting to learn how to dance, but have never acted on it. So for Bob's birthday I signed us up for dance classes at Arthur Murray in Ashburn. Although dance lessons aren't exactly super risky, they put me in an uncomfortable place...out of control and perhaps looking stupid. So for me, this was a baby step in the right direction.

Although Bob and I were both excited about the lesson, as the time grew closer to leave, we talked about bailing (aka chickening out). We both are creatures of habit and like to "hunker down" on weekends, watching TV and ordering in. I also think Bob shares my fear of looking like an idiot. But, I remembered my commitment to myself and encouraged us to still go. A glass of wine later, and we were on our way.

We arrived and met with our instructor, Tatiana. Her perky and positive demeanor was just what Bob and I needed. The three of us clicked. We learned the basics of foxtrot and swing, but at that point, the steps were inconsequential. This was about Bob and my connection -- something I had felt from the minute I met him and was still so clearly evident on the dance floor. We moved together with relative effortlessness. My trust in Bob allowed me to relinquish control and let him lead, which he did beautifully. Our eyes and frames were locked together. By the end of the lesson, we were both a little sweaty and my face hurt from smiling so much.

We walked out feeling energized, excited and connected. A better couple than when we walked in. We realized afterwards that it was one of the few times in recent memory where we were alone and could focus on just each other. We have two more lessons scheduled and I can't wait. I'm glad we went and took that risk...even if it was only a baby step.

No comments:

Post a Comment